My Whole 30 Journey- Week One



It seems everywhere I look, I see someone else doing the Whole 30.  Everyone was raving about how great they were feeling and when things continue to pop up, I like to think it's a sign...so on October 24, my whole 30 journey began!!

A little back story---for years, I've had flare ups with my digestive system.  It comes out of nowhere. My stomach gets distended (bloated and hard), I get a terrible pain, and I'm left on the couch or in bed or in a series of distorted yoga positions until it subsides. Then for a few days I'm afraid to eat because I never know what causes the pain. 

I've seen multiple doctors, had every GI test there is, and still haven't gotten any answers. 

So, the whole 30 seemed to be the answer for me.

What is the Whole 30?
whole 30, whole 30 dinner, whole 30 snacks, whole 30 breakfast, body after baby, gluten sensitivity, dairy sensitivity, tex mex, clean eating, easy recipes


For 30 days, you eat food, real food---but you eliminate certain foods that tend to be triggers for reactions: grains, legumes, sugar, alcohol, and dairy. (see the full rules here)

Then after 30 days, you slowly reintroduce them one at a time to see how your body reacts.

What DO you eat on the Whole 30?


whole 30, whole 30 dinner, whole 30 snacks, whole 30 breakfast, body after baby, gluten sensitivity, dairy sensitivity, tex mex, clean eating, easy recipes


I highly suggest buying a copy of the Whole 30 book. Its been informative and has been a great source for recipes.


whole 30, whole 30 dinner, whole 30 snacks, whole 30 breakfast, body after baby, gluten sensitivity, dairy sensitivity, tex mex, clean eating, easy recipes
eggs with veggies
I've adjusted my eating a bit because typically I'd have shakeology for breakfast and then eat every 2-3 hours, but since the Whole 30 program creators suggest you eat 3 meals a day and snack less, I've moved things around a bit.

Breakfast- eggs with veggies. My go to this week was 3 scrambled eggs with a medley of sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, and onions (a whole 30 veggie recipe) and sometimes I'd add in an apple with almond butter.

Lunch- leftover dinner from the night before OR whole 30 butternut squash soup

whole 30, whole 30 dinner, whole 30 snacks, whole 30 breakfast, body after baby, gluten sensitivity, dairy sensitivity, tex mex, clean eating, easy recipes
apple with almond butter and flaked coconut
Snacks- every day I'd have my shakeology (1/2 vegan chocolate, 1/2 cafe latte, spinach, almond butter, and 1/2 a frozen banana with ice and water). While Shakeology is not whole 30 compliant (cafe latte contains whey protein and vegan chocolate contains oat and pea protein), I have been drinking it for almost 3 years and it serves as my daily multivitamin, probiotic and prebiotic, so I feel that the benefits outweigh the whole 30 compliance, plus it makes me FEEL GOOD and tastes amazing :)

I also had cashews, apple/almond butter, and RX bars.

Dinner- this week we had chili lime chicken, pot roast, pulled pork carnitas, and ground turkey tacos.

whole 30, whole 30 dinner, whole 30 snacks, whole 30 breakfast, body after baby, gluten sensitivity, dairy sensitivity, tex mex, clean eating, easy recipes


Ok, so one week in...how am I feeling?

First of all, I thought that this would be SO hard----it's not at all! 

Days 1 and 2 were a little rough. I experienced headaches and cravings. It was especially hard to see my husband noshing on halloween candy at night, but I stayed strong.  I also experienced my stomach pain on these days. It may have either been my body adjusting, or a reaction to what I ate over the weekend as my 'last supper' 
whole 30, whole 30 dinner, whole 30 snacks, whole 30 breakfast, body after baby, gluten sensitivity, dairy sensitivity, tex mex, clean eating, easy recipes

Day 3 I felt a little weak. 

Day 4---I woke up DANCING. No, like legit, dancing like a spaz. I felt great!!! I felt lighter, happier, and I was thinking so clearly. 

The day 4 effects are still going strong on day 7. I feel really great. I'm not feeling deprived in any way. 

Every single recipe that I have tried from the Whole 30 book has been AMAZING!!!! I have never liked to cook and now I find myself excited to try new recipes and prepare them! This is HUGE! 

Already I see less bloating, less fatigue (although at night I'm ready for bed early and sleep like a rock---lets not say baby because moms know thats not true), and I'm feeling sharp. 

Another side effect is an improvement in my anxiety (more on that to come). I'm finding myself to be calmer and overall happier! 

I cannot wait to see what the next 23 days bring. 

For more information on my Whole 30 journey, follow me on facebook 

To have my support as a coach on your whole 30 journey, join one of my accountability groups! Fill out the application below so we can chat about your goals. 


Fill out my online form.
The easy to use Wufoo form builder helps you make forms easy, fast, and fun.

Comments

Popular Posts