My Whole30 Journey: Results and Review

whole30, body after baby, abs after baby, power of nutrition, weightloss

My Whole30 journey started on October 24.

It was proof of the Baadher-Meinhof phenomenon, when the thing you experience starts popping up everywhere. It seemed like everywhere I turned, someone else was doing the Whole30.

At the same time, I had had enough of trying to figure out why I'd been experiencing unexplained digestive issues for over a decade. I had a dozen tests over the years and still, for what seemed no rhyme or reason, I'd be doubled over in pain once every couple of months or more. 

For years, I just attributed it to gluten, but when I eliminated it in the past, it didn't completely resolve the issue---so I knew there was more. And since becoming more aware of my nutrition over the last 3 years, I've grown to respect its power more and more. 

So---enter Whole30. I did a little research (talked to friends), ordered the Whole30 book (which I like to call the Bible), read It Starts with Food, and enlisted a friend to do it with me for accountability.

I'll be completely honest, I wasn't sure I'd make it 30 days without cheats. 

The first week was a little rough. The book outlines the symptoms you'll experience throughout the 30 days and it was SPOT ON! Day 1 was a breeze, then came the "hangover" stage---headache, fog, fatigue, weakness, followed by irritability, and more fatigue. But by week 2, I felt GREAT. I survived Halloween with the kids and knew I was onto something. Already I felt less anxiety (more on that to come) and more energy. 

What did I eat?
Some of my favorite meals were the butternut squash soup, pot roast, pork carnitas, and acorn squash casserole. 

What did I eliminate?
whole30, body after baby, abs after baby, power of nutrition, weightloss
The Whole30 recommends you eliminate all grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, and alcohol. I did bend the rules to allow for Shakeology each day despite its stevia leaf extract content. I have been drinking Shakeology for nearly 3 years and feel that it's benefits are far too significant to eliminate. 

What was the hardest part?
The hardest part was eating out. It is difficult to find foods that are not processed, don't contain sugar and aren't cooked with dairy. 

My tips for eating out: ask for a gluten free menu and go from there. Tell the server that you have an allergy (it's easier to explain). Don't be afraid to ask questions. 

My tips for travel: pack snacks. I traveled to California for the Tony Robbins Unleash the Power Within event. I packed Shakeology, almond butter, apples, Rx bars, Lara Bars, and almonds. I grabbed salad from Whole Foods and was good to go.

What were my results? 

whole30, body after baby, abs after baby, power of nutrition, weightloss

I'll breakdown for you what I've found my reaction and tolerance to be so far (I haven't completed the reintroduction phase yet).

Sugar: First of all---its in EVERYTHING!! Check your labels and you'll be surprised. Bacon, taco seasoning, you name it----sugar!

Right away I noticed a major difference when I eliminated this. I was surprised because I wasn't adding sugar to anything so I didn't think I was consuming much---wrong.

When I took out sugar, I found my anxiety to be much less!! This was a HUGE deal for me. I found my mood to be more consistently happy and my patience to be better. I also noticed less body soreness in my joints. 

Grains: Much like sugar, when I added grains back in, I felt bogged down and shaky! 

Dairy: The biggest thing I found with dairy is bloat! As soon as I added it back in for reintroduction, my belly was bloated! 

Legumes: I haven't added these back in yet and can't say I have much to add about them

Alcohol: I am not a huge drinker but enjoy an occasional glass of wine. That was the one thing I was looking forward to after day 30. The first glass I had left me feeling immediately dehydrated and sick. My tolerance is less considering I didn't have any alcohol for 30 days. Going forward, I'll enjoy a glass of wine here and there.

NON-SCALE VICTORIES

  •  clear skin
  • better focus
  • less bloating 
  • sound sleep
  • more energy
  • smaller pant size 
  • better workout endurance 


SCALE VICTORIES

  • lost 8 lbs


So, now what? 
I'll continue to implement the Whole30 with the exception that I'll drink Shakeology and energize daily and allow for wine on occasion. 

I will enjoy treats here and there but will now know how my body responds to food, so I can avoid inflammation.

I am thankful to have gained knowledge regarding this program so I can now use it to help my customers within my online accountability groups. 

If you'd like support in your health and fitness journey, please contact me so we can talk about your goals and develop a plan to get you started. 

Fill out the form below for more information. 

Fill out my online form.
There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts