Tips for Surviving Your Thanksgiving Feast

thanksgiving, holiday survival, clean eating, weight loss, fit mom, prego fit, holiday meals
Most holidays and family gatherings often center around food.  Every vision I have of holidays growing up includes everyone gathered in the kitchen or around a table.  It's so easy to center your celebration around the food that is served, find your hand mindlessly dipping into the appetizers, loading your plate, going back for seconds, and taking more than a "sliver" of pie....so, what is your plan? Is that what you want your day to look like?

As I gear up for this Thanksgiving (one of my favorite holidays) I'm going to be honest, there are a few things I will not pass up....mainly stuffing and a slice of pie.  I don't have them any other time of the year, so I'll take full advantage. But, because I'll be indulging in a cheat meal, I have a line of defense.

thanksgiving, holiday survival, clean eating, weight loss, fit mom, prego fit, holiday meals


Here are my tips:

thanksgiving, holiday survival, clean eating, weight loss, fit mom, prego fit, holiday meals
1. Start your day with a workout- Thanksgiving morning I'll already be up at our family's lake house but I'll be sure to pack my T25 DVDs and get my workout in first thing in the morning. Hopefully I'll even be able to recruit a few family members to join me!

2. Plan your cheats- As I said, my cheats of choice will be stuffing and a slice of pie, so I'll be mindful of my portion sizes throughout the day.

3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!- Keep a full glass of water with you throughout the day. Staying hydrated is so important for so many reasons, but on a day like Thanksgiving, I especially find it helpful because it allows me to know the difference between hunger and mindless eating.

4. Stay busy- Don't just plop your behind on a chair in front of the chips and dip and shovel them into your mouth...offer to help prepare food, set the table, play a game with the kids, go for a walk...whatever! Enjoy the company!

thanksgiving, holiday survival, clean eating, weight loss, fit mom, prego fit, holiday meals


5.  Eat your meals as you normally would- So many times we think that we need to save up for the big meal of the day and not eat before....this is so wrong! Keep your metabolism fired up by eating every 3 hours as you normally would.  I'll be starting my day with shakeology, snacking on an apple and almond butter, eating lunch with the family, then I'll move on to dinner.

thanksgiving, holiday survival, clean eating, weight loss, fit mom, prego fit, holiday meals
6.  Mind your portions when making your plate- again, don't deprive yourself, but watch your portions and stay mindful of what you're eating.

And finally....give thanks! Be thankful for all the blessings you've been given.  Focus on the loved ones with whom you are fortunate enough to spend the day.  And don't be too hard on yourself.

xoxo,
Chrisanthi

thanksgiving, holiday survival, clean eating, weight loss, fit mom, prego fit, holiday meals



Fill out my online form.
Use Wufoo templates to make your own HTML forms.

Comments

Popular Posts