Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup



With fall weather upon us I use my crockpot any chance I can get!

Chicken Tortilla Soup is always a go-to recipe of mine. I came across a recipe on Pinterest a few years ago and I have been tweaking it ever since.

The original recipe was from Bakedbyrachel.com

I have been tweaking it here and there, and every time it comes out DELICIOUS!

My husband doesn't eat vegetables but loves this soup so I've gotten creative with how to incorporate the ingredients.

When I follow Rachel's recipe exactly I puree everything using my food processer.
So the tomatoes, onions, and peppers all get pureed to a pulp! That way we get the flavor, without the chunky texture. I often like to use a can of Rotel instead of regular tomatoes because it has chiles in it which gives it a little extra kick!

There are a few ways that I customize the recipe. If I'm in the mood for corn and/or beans, I just add them in when I serve up my own bowl so that it's family friendly.

If I'm looking for something heartier I make brown rice in the rice cooker and add that in when I serve it as well.  I don't add it to the entire pot because then I can't control my portion of rice.

So, here it is:


  • 1 lb chicken breast
  • 15 oz canned, diced tomatoes (with or without chiles)
  • small bag of frozen corn (optional)
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 3/4 c. onion, diced (or pulsed)
  • 3/4 c. green pepper, diced (or pulsed)
  • 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt, divided
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper, divided
  • Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (optional)
  • corn tortillas
Add first 11 ingredients to the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours
When finished, remove chicken from the crockpot, shred, and return to broth

Before serving, preheat oven to 350
Slice corn tortillas into 1/4 inch strips, spray with olive oil, season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper
Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy

Serve soup and top with cheese and tortilla strips

******SHORTCUT ALERT----the last time I made this I did not have the time to puree my ingredients so instead I subbed the tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic for a jar of Trader Joe's salsa. I added salsa, chicken stock, and chicken breasts to the crockpot and cooked accordingly and HOLY MOLY was it PERFECT!! 

If you are using a jar of salsa, choose one that is clean, has few ingredients, and less than 300 mg sodium. 

I'd love to hear how you like this recipe! Comment below. 

Comments

Popular Posts