Is it in the genes?


Are you doing what you were meant to do? Is your career path based on your genes? 

So here's a little backstory you may not know about me.  I am the daughter of a Greek immigrant. My father came to the United States as a young boy, making me a first generation citizen. I have such immense pride for that and my Greek heritage. I proudly embrace the uniqueness of my name...have you met another Chrisanthi (Chris-on-thee)? I am proud of my father's many accomplishments (I'll explain) and I am greatly intrigued by the Greek heritage.

Upon meeting me and learning my name I get several questions:
  • How do you spell that? (This can be annoying, especially in loud settings...ten letters, spelled out?)
  • Is that Greek?
  • What church do you go to?
  • Do you speak Greek?
  • Have you been to Greece?
The first two questions are a no brainer...I can spell my name (not sure how I accomplished that task as a kid) and yes, it is Greek. 

The questions that follow leave me somewhat stumbling over my words. You see, I was not raised Greek Orthodox (which is totally fine), I never learned to speak the language (its on my bucket list), and unfortunately I have yet to travel to Greece (another bucket list item). 

But the 'no' I have to answer to those questions is not the problem. 

As an infant of less than a year old, my father tragically died of a heart attack. I never had the opportunity to know much about him. I do not remember him at all. I have seen pictures and heard plenty of stories. I have always felt sadness for my mother's loss and appreciative of her ability to be such an amazing parent, but now, as a mother myself, I CANNOT fathom what she went through. 

So of course, this is why sometimes being asked those questions leaves me...sad. 

Despite the loss that I feel for not having known my father, I do not for a second question the fact that he is with me, watching over me and guiding me through many life decisions. 

All my life I have known that I would grow to be an independent woman, create my own destiny, and succeed at what I do in my professional life.  My mother often bragged about what an intelligent, self made man my father was. She often told me how he 'taught himself to read and write in Greek and English', ran many successful business: diners, a hotel, restaurants, coffee shop, and a laundromat, to name a few. I think there many have been a story about being a peddler and making soup from stones (maybe I'm confusing that with a folk tale). 

Nonetheless, the man was motivated and determined to succeed and he did just that. 

I absolutely loved every job that I have had. I've had many: prep cook, waitress, cashier, fee collector, secretary, babysitter, tutor, and of course teacher. But in the back of my mind, I knew that I would follow my father's footsteps and be my own boss one day.

I often told my mother and Ryan that I wanted to own my own business.  The question was, what would it be? How could I afford start up? How long would it take to make money? and the list went on.

Fast forward to February...you've heard this before, but on February 10th (my half birthday and the anniversary of my Gram's death), my angels sent me a message that I had found my 'business' to run! 

When I spoke with my Beachbody coach, Melanie Mitro, she said 'as a coach, you are your own boss, the CEO of your company, running your own business' and it clicked! This was it.

So now three months into my new endeavor as a beach body coach, I still believe whole heartedly that I was led to this position. It combines the best of my abilities: teaching others (teacher) about health and fitness (my passion) while running my own business (my destiny??). 

So you may think I'm crazy but I truly believe that business is in my genes and I have finally found my niche, thanks to the angels looking over my shoulder. 

I am following my dreams and fulfilling a legacy! 


Want to join me?


Fill out my online form.
HTML Forms powered by Wufoo.

Comments

Popular Posts